In the online Infant Feeding Foundations Workshop you'll learn:
Developmental foundations of feeding & oral development
Understand the typical stages of infant oral and feeding development (0-12 months) that underpin feeding and feeding therapy at all ages. You'll learn more about the development of oral structure and function, oral sensory motor development, and psychosocial development of infants.
Assessment of oral structure, function & feeding skills
Learn how to complete a feeding case history, an in-depth oral motor examination, and the fundamentals of a feeding observation. Example pictures and videos of the various oral structures and functions are provided, as well as some sample assessment forms.
Evidence-based assessment & management of tongue-tie
We will discuss in-depth the potential impact of tongue and lip ties, current controversies, and the research base for your decision making. Photo and video examples are provided of tongue tie assessment. Management of tongue ties in relation to difficulties with breastfeeding, bottle feeding, solids and oral function is highlighted throughout the course.
Treatment of breastfeeding & bottle feeding difficulties
Learn more about breastfeeding and bottle feeding in infants, including facilitative and compensatory strategies for improving difficulties in these areas. The importance of working within a team is highlighted.
Treatment of early solids difficulties, including oral motor skills
Identify treatment principles and techniques for the treatment of early solids difficulties, including oral motor skills for feeding. We will discuss infant mental health approaches to treatment, and review 'stress points' - common referral reasons and corresponding therapeutic strategies.
- REGISTRATIONS: Open for a limited time only - Wednesday 3rd Feb - Monday 22nd Feb 2021 (Melbourne, Australia time).
- COURSE OPEN: Monday 15th March – Friday 30th April 2021. Available pre-recorded online, on-demand, watch at your own pace. Watch on your browser or through our mobile app.
- LIVE Q&A SESSION: Wednesday 21st April 2021, 10am AEST. Recorded and uploaded to course platform.
- COURSE MANUAL: Posted to the address provided. Manuals to international participants are sent expedited/express post where possible.
- COURSE SUITABLE FOR: Allied health, medical, nursing and complementary health professionals. Participants must be a health professional working in a field related to feeding and/or paediatrics (workshop not for parents). The course caters to therapists with a range of experience (beginner to advanced).
- DISCOUNTS: 10% early bird discounts (registrations in first 5 days) and 10% discount for students/teams.
#1- Four recorded video modules (~1.5hrs each)
Secure login to access the course modules for almost 7 weeks. Watch at your own pace, rewind, replay as much as you want. Watch in your web browser or through our mobile app.
#2- 1hr live Q&A session for your course questions
Zoom session with our course presenter, Carly, recorded and uploaded to the course platform for the remainder of the course.
#3- Printed workshop manual
100+ page workshop manual of the course slides printed and posted to you. International postage included in international registrations.
#4- Clinical handouts and sample forms
Samples of a selection of feeding handouts and clinical forms used at Babble & Munch Speech Pathology.
Developmental foundations of feeding and oral development
- Infant feeding landscape: Parts making up the whole
- Development of typical oral structure and function
- Oral sensory motor feeding skill development
Assessment of oral structure, function and feeding skills
- Feeding case histories
- Completing an in-depth oral motor examination
- Tongue & lip ties: Impact and assessment
- Feeding assessment
Treatment 0-6 months
- Breastfeeding management
- Bottle feeding management
- Intervening with oral function
- Management of tongue tie and current evidence
Treatment 6-12 months
- Treatment of early solids difficulties, including oral motor skills
- Infant mental health approach to treatment
- Stress points: Common solids feeding difficulties and therapeutic strategies
- Management of tongue tie with solids and current evidence
Carly Veness is a Certified Practising Speech Pathologist in Melbourne, Australia, working in both clinical & research roles over the past 17 years. Carly is the Founder & Principal Speech Pathologist at Babble & Munch Speech Pathology, a private practice focused on infant & child feeding. Carly also holds a public appointment at the Royal Women’s Hospital in the Neonatal Intensive & Special Care Unit & has a Graduate Diploma of Infant & Parent Mental Health.
Carly has particular interest & experience in working with babies & children with gastrointestinal conditions & allergy, congenital heart disease, prematurity, growth faltering, developmental delay, tongue ties, breastfeeding difficulties, & tube feeding. Carly is active in teaching, training & mentoring other speech pathologists & feeding therapists & regularly runs feeding workshops for other health professionals around Australia & overseas (online!).
Here's How Others Found the Course...
SLP - Regional VIC
Excellent course. Could not recommend highly enough to other speech pathologists with an interest in this area.
SLP - South Australia
Thank you so much for creating this course in an online format - It was extremely thorough and easy to navigate. I looked forward to sitting down and working through this! I have already started using a lot of what I have learned in my clinic, thank you!
How long does the course take to complete?
Do I need to register for the Q&A Zoom session?
Can I watch the Q&A recording later?
Is this course registered for Continuing Education Units (CEUs/CERPs)?
How do I access the course mobile app?
How do I get a student/team discount?
How do I get a course completion certificate?
Can I get a digital copy of the course videos/manual?
Can I watch with a colleague?
Are you running other courses (online or in-person)?
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. After registering for the course, participants must sign a Course Access Agreement to be given access to the course (including postage of a course manual). The full terms of accessing this course are included in the Agreement. If a participant does not sign the Course Access Agreement by the due date they will not be able to access the course.
2. Cancellation policy:
- Cancellations must be notified in writing.
- Cancellations made before signing the Course Access Agreement will be provided a full refund.
- Cancellations made after signing the Course Access Agreement but before the course manual is posted out and/or before course access is provided will incur a 15% cancellation fee, with the remainder refunded to the participant's original payment method.
- No refunds are available for cancellations made after the participant has been posted the manual or provided access to the course.
- No refunds or extensions are available for participants who don't start or don't complete the course in the allotted time provided. It is the participant's responsibility to complete the course in the time provided.
- We are not responsible for the loss of any registration fees or bank fees due to differing exchange rates when a refund is processed.
3. The workshop is for allied health, medical, nursing and complementary health professionals. Participants must be a health professional working in a field related to feeding and/or paediatrics (workshop not for parents). We reserve the right to reverse a participant's registration and refund their registration fee in line with the cancellation terms above if they do not meet these health professional terms.
4. Where possible, course manuals will be posted to arrive within approximately 2 weeks of being posted, including for international post (using expedited/express post where necessary). Tracked or registered post will be used where available. Course manuals are posted to arrive before or around the start of the online course start date, however Babble & Munch Learning are not responsible for any delays in the postal system, delivery errors made by the postal system or for the prompt arrival of your package. The participant understands that there could be additional delays due to postage processes, local/international restrictions, customs, the impact of COVID on postage, international location, or other events or delays impacting the post. Babble & Munch Learning are not responsible for any delays. Babble & Munch Learning is also not responsible for any additional customs taxes or fees related to international postage - these are the responsibility of the participant. Please get in contact on [email protected] if you are experiencing delays or your manual does not arrive and we will do our best to assist you in accessing the manual.
5. Student and team discounts are for 10% off full price and must be arranged by emailing [email protected] to receive a discount code. Discounts can not be retrospectively applied after registrations. Students must be studying a health profession degree and provide their university details. Teams must be made up of 3 or more staff from the same workplace, and need to provide the workplace name, team members names, and team members emails to arrange the discount codes for each team member before registering.
6. All dates/times listed are in Melbourne, Australia, local time (AEDT during daylight savings time, and AEST after daylight savings time).
Please let us know if you have any further questions and we will respond to you soon!
We will not share your details with anyone else. We will not send you spam.